PELLY OIL FIELD

PELLY OIL FIELD

Thursday, April 21, 2011

GENERATION 5-8

Generation No. 5:  MARY FRANCIS HERNDON - Daughter of James Herndon   
                            and  Isabella Thompson.  Born 1780, died in 1836 at the age
                            56.  She married RICHARD CRAVEN WILKINS  in 1799 in
                            Bowling Green, Ky.  He was born in 1769 in Chatham Co., N.C.
                            and died in Oct 1816 at the age of 47.  They had 4 boys and 2
                            girls. 

Mary Francis Herndon Wilkins/Richard Craven Wilkins would be my Great Great Grandparents.

Generation No. 6:  DR. JAMES HERNDON WILKINS - Son of Mary  Francis
                             Herndon and Richard Craven Wilkins.  Born 21 Apr 1802 in
                             Simpson Co., Ky and died 05 Feb 1880 in Bastrop Co., Tx at
                             the age of 78.  He married Melvina Mills Salmons 05 Jul 1826.
                             She was born Oct 17 1809 in Simpson Co., Ky and died Nov
                             8, 1855 in Bastrop Co., Tx at the age of 46.  They had 10
                             children. He then married Mary Grimes, widow of R.H. Grimes
                             who was the son of Jesse Grimes, a signer of The Texas
                             Declaration of Independence.  His brother was killed at the Alamo.

                             As his title implies, James Herndon Wilkins was a medical
                             doctor when he arrived in Bastrop County but soon found it
                             more profitable to grow cotton and he already had several
                             children and about thirty slaves to do this with.  He owned the
                             8th largest plantation in Bastrop County.  And as you might
                             have guessed by now, Dr James Herndon Wilkins was my
                             Great Grandfather.

Generation No. 7:   JERRY CRAVIN WILKINS - Fourth child (3rd Son) of Dr
                             James Herndon Wilkins and Melvina Salmons.  Born 11 Dec1833 in
                             Simpson Co., Ky - died 22 Mar 1895 in Alum Creek, Bastrop Co,
                             Texas at the age of 62. He married Martha Walker in 1870.  She was
                              born in 1855 in Texas, and died Feb 1899 in Bastrop Co., Tx at the
                              age of 44.  They had 10 children, 3 girls and 7 boys.  My Dad Lee
                              Wilkins being the youngest.

Notes on my Grandfather Jerry Cravin Wilkins:  He was sheriff of Bastrop County in 1862 and 1863.  He also served the Confederate States of America; first as a private in Terry's Texas Rangers, mustered in at Houston, Tx on Sep 7, 1861.  Then as Capt of Co. D, Baylor's 2nd Regt., Texas Cavalry.  His brother Robert Thomas joined him in 1864 and was elected Lieutenant.  This is all verified by letter dated Aug 14, 1930 from the U.S. War Department signed by Harvey W. Miller, Colonel, A.G.D.

My Grandfather is buried  in Fairview Cemetery in Bastrop, Tx

Generation No. 8:  LEE WILKINS - Youngest child of Jerry Cravin Wilkins and
                                                          Martha Walker Wilkins.  Born 27 Aug 1893
                                                          in Smithville, Tx, Bastrop County.  Married
                                                          Daisy Bell White, born Nov 8, 1904 in
                                                          Mississippi and raised in Humble, Tx.  My
                                                          father died on My 18, 1964 from Cancer in
                                                          Baytown, Tx at the age of 71.  He is buried
                                                          Memory Gardens on Garth Road in Baytown,
                                                          Texas.  My father was an independent grocery
                                                          store owner and operated stores in Pelly, Tx
                                                          at three different locations; 2 on Pruitt St and
                                                          1 on W. Main.  My mother died on Jul 8, 1962 in
                                                          Baytown Texas from Cancer at the age of 58. 
                                                          She is buried next to dad in Memory Gardens.

Jerry and Martha Wilkins
with my aunts and Uncles

Dr. James Herndon Wilkins

                                                                       
Lee Wilkins










                                                                                                                                         

6 comments:

  1. Hello I am Bryan Lynch Jerry Cravin Wilkins is my 3 great-grandfather Willie Wilkins is my 2nd great-grandfather William Gaylus (Buddy) Wilkins is my great-grandfather Alvin Leroy (Sonny) Wilkins Sr. is my paternal grandfather and Alvin Le Roy Wilkins Jr. is my Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so sorry about the late reply, I missed several comments for different folks on this blog. Thank you so very much for the info.

      Delete
    2. so sorry about the delay but I overlooked your comment. Jerry Cravin Wilkins was my grandfather who I never met. His son Lee Wilkins is was my dad.

      Delete
  2. ran across your blog doing some light research on the home my grandparents lived in from 1945 to 1971 on a ranch SE of Bastrop. It was the home built by Dr. Wilkins in the early 1850's. I have photos of that house that I can send you if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please forgive the late answer to your info you sent me. I have missed several comments from others as I don't open my blog that often any more. If you have any questions about the blog please email me at bobwilkins442@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I am living in an old house i bought 6 years ago in Bowling Green Ky. It was built around 1870-1875. Doing my research, I found out that a James Herndon Wilkins built my house after the Civil War for his new wife. Turns out that your great great grandfather had a brother named Jeremiah Craven Wilkins and he named his first son after his brother (James Herndon Wilkins. Looks like they died the same year in 1880 so it took me a minute to figure out they were different people. Thought it was something you may would find interesting. Let me know if you want any pictures of the house that your great great uncle built.

    ReplyDelete